Stone-in-Oxney is situated near the Kent/Sussex border at the southern end of the “Island” of Oxney, which was an historic island, but is now surrounded by farmland. Overlooking Romney Marsh, the ancient parish church of St Mary the Virgin stands on a prominent position with wide-ranging views over the surrounding countryside.
The village of Stone has about 180 houses and, with the neighbouring hamlet of Ebony, makes up the Parish of Stone-cum-Ebony, one of the parishes which form part of the area within Ashford Borough Council.
“Oxney” means island of bulls and it is believed that the church stands on the site of a Roman Mithraic temple. The cult of Mithras involved the sacrifice of bulls. The altar stone from the temple can still be seen at the back of the church and this may be the origin of the name of the village.
Turning to bulls in modern times, the Ferry Inn was formerly known as the Black Ox and as recently as May 1937, a whole ox was roasted to celebrate the Coronation of King George VI.
The local community magazine is “Outlook on Oxney”, which publishes ten issues a year and contains much additional information about activities in Stone, Ebony and Wittersham.